Saltar al contenido

15-year-old Ja’Derrius Minnieweather

19 de agosto de 2026

Baton Rouge, Louisiana. — After nearly two months of uncertainty and an extraordinary six-week search through thousands of tons of landfill material, investigators have recovered human r3m41ns they strongly believe belong to missing 15-year-old Ja’Derrius Minnieweather. The discovery was announced Tuesday, August 18, following an extensive operation at the East Baton Rouge Parish North Landfill near Zachary.

Authorities emphasized that Ja’Derrius’ identity has not yet been formally established through DNA testing. However, investigators said clothing recovered with the r3m41ns matches what the teenager was reportedly wearing when he disappeared, giving police strong reason to believe the long search has finally located him.

Baton Rouge Police Chief T.J. Morse addressed the development during an afternoon news conference, describing the discovery as highly significant. Morse said the evidence found Tuesday gave investigators a strong belief that the r3m41ns belong to Ja’Derrius, although the department will await forensic confirmation before making a definitive identification.

The teenager had been missing since June 5, 2026, when he disappeared from the Baton Rouge area. His case initially generated searches through wooded locations and waterways before investigators gathered evidence suggesting that his b0dy could have been transported with garbage to the landfill.

Investigators eventually reconstructed the possible movement of the waste connected to the case. Police said information including witness statements, surveillance footage and tips helped investigators identify the waste-management truck believed to have transported Ja’Derrius’ r3m41ns to the landfill.

That evidence transformed the investigation into an enormous recovery operation. Beginning July 13, Baton Rouge police, the FBI and other participating agencies began physically searching a targeted section of the approximately 400-acre landfill, initially narrowing their focus to an area of less than one acre.

The operation ultimately lasted approximately six weeks. Chief T.J. Morse revealed Tuesday that crews processed nearly 4,000 tons of material, covering 27 working cells while accumulating approximately 17,493 personnel hours and 821 individual search shifts.

Those numbers illustrate the extraordinary scale of an operation carried out under difficult and potentially hazardous conditions. Investigators and volunteers repeatedly searched through landfill material while trying to recover evidence connected to a teenager who had already been missing for weeks.

Even after Tuesday’s discovery, police said the landfill operation would continue while forensic testing is conducted. Authorities are not treating the recovery of the suspected r3m41ns as an immediate end to the search because investigators still need to ensure that all relevant evidence is located.

The case had already become a h0m1c1d3 investigation weeks before Tuesday’s discovery. Police arrested Maurice Parms, 51, on June 20 and booked him into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on a charge of first-degree m4rd3r in connection with Ja’Derrius’ d34th.

According to allegations contained in the arrest warrant, investigators believe Ja’Derrius became involved in a confrontation with Maurice Parms concerning Parms’ behavior toward a 16-year-old girl who had been a longtime friend of the teenager. Police allege that the disagreement became physical and that Ja’Derrius was subsequently k1ll3d.

Investigators further allege that Parms concealed Ja’Derrius’ b0dy and discarded evidence before the r3m41ns ultimately entered the waste system that transported them to the landfill. These allegations remain part of the criminal case against Parms and have not yet been proven at trial.

The investigation involving Maurice Parms has also expanded beyond the disappearance of Ja’Derrius. Jail records cited in recent reporting show that authorities added charges against Parms on August 14 involving alleged indecent behavior with a juvenile, second-degree r4p3 and trafficking of children for sexual purposes.

Authorities had initially arrested Parms on June 10 on allegations of indecent behavior with juveniles and computer-aided solicitation of a minor. Ten days later, as investigators developed additional evidence surrounding Ja’Derrius’ disappearance, Parms was arrested on the first-degree m4rd3r charge.

Throughout the landfill operation, Ja’Derrius’ family waited for answers while investigators refused to abandon the search. Chief Morse acknowledged Tuesday that one of the motivations for continuing was the thought of eventually having to tell the teenager’s mother that authorities had stopped without finding him.

The teenager’s mother, identified publicly as Aquarius Minnieweather, had endured weeks of uncertainty while police, federal investigators, volunteers and community organizations searched for her son. Tuesday’s discovery may finally allow the family to begin receiving definitive answers once DNA testing is completed.

Sid Edwards, mayor-president of East Baton Rouge Parish, also spoke after the discovery and thanked the numerous agencies and individuals who participated in the search. His message centered on finally being able to return the teenager to his family after weeks of painstaking work.

“This son of Baton Rouge is going to be brought home,” Edwards said during the emotional update announcing the discovery.

The FBI played an important role in the landfill operation alongside Baton Rouge police. Federal personnel from Louisiana, neighboring states and FBI headquarters provided specialized expertise for what the agency described as a hazardous evidence-recovery effort.

More than 70 Baton Rouge Police Department personnel and FBI agents were already participating when the physical landfill search began in July. What initially appeared likely to take weeks ultimately became a sustained operation continuing through the middle of August.

Tuesday’s discovery represents the most significant development since Ja’Derrius disappeared more than two months ago. Still, authorities are being careful with their language: the recovered r3m41ns are believed to be his, but DNA analysis must establish the identification scientifically.

Until those results are completed, officials have not declared the forensic identification final. The matching clothing and other evidence recovered from the site, however, have given investigators substantial confidence that their six-week search reached the location they had been seeking.

For Ja’Derrius Minnieweather’s family, the development brings an agonizing search closer to an answer. For investigators, it provides potentially critical physical evidence in the criminal prosecution surrounding the teenager’s disappearance and d34th.

What began on June 5 as the disappearance of a 15-year-old Baton Rouge boy eventually became a m4rd3r investigation, followed by one of the most demanding landfill searches conducted in the area.

Now, after nearly 4,000 tons of material, 17,493 hours of work and 821 search shifts, investigators believe they have finally found Ja’Derrius Minnieweather. DNA testing will provide the final confirmation, while the criminal investigation involving Maurice Parms continues.


Descubre más desde DILIEX DIGITAL

Suscríbete y recibe las últimas entradas en tu correo electrónico.

Ajustes